Papertracks

Saturday, December 24, 2011

TurDukHen

Several years ago while living in Phoenix, AZ my parents, Ann & Wes Rook, would travel down from Crescent City, CA to spend the Thanksgiving holidays with us. One year we made smoked turkeys so there wasn't REAL dressing (the dressing stuffed into the turkey) and no drippings to make gravy.  I improvised with chicken stock and package gravy. Unfortunately, Dad caught me dumping the packages of gravy into the liquid so he wouldn't even touch the gravy that year.  He was very disappointed, his Thanksgiving had been tampered with. The next year we tried a TurDukHen (de-boned chicken stuffed into a de-boned duck, which itself is stuffed into a de-boned turkey) with great success. The gravy makings were phenomenal. We had 1 gallon of gravy by the time the drippings were skimmed and thickened. We also made a regular turkey with REAL dressing and my dad was one happy man that year!

This year we are in Florida so missed out on Thanksgiving and Christmas with the parents so I had my sister and brother-in-law, Carolyn & David Dikes, pick up a TurDukHen for dad for his Christmas gift. I think he was pretty surprised.

No comments: