Papertracks

Monday, February 6, 2012

Misery!

We blasted across Missouri and have stopped for the night in Lawrence, KS. 

We have a touching family story about the word Missouri. One time, Lumara (my daughter) wrote me a sympathy card when I was sad about my mom being ill with bone cancer. She told me I didn't look good with my face all puffy from crying and she hoped I would feel better when Grandma wasn't in Missouri (instead of misery) anymore. I thought it was a precious card and actually saved and scrap booked it.

We have stopped for the evening in Lawrence, KS. According to the history, Lawrence was burnt during Quantrill's massacre in 1861. Laton & I love to watch westerns and have seen references to that time in history. It is also one of the largest cities in the USA that does not have a mall. All the stores are located downtown along Massachusetts Street and is very quaint looking. It is also the home of University of Kansas and the Haskell Indian Nations University.

We were told by the park manager, this park is located on the spot where Quantrill camped, so we are enjoying the thought that our campfire is in the same spot as a historic campfire.

No comments: