Papertracks

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

In Memory

When my mother passed away many years ago she asked to be cremated and her ashes sprinkled near Newport, OR. She had a stroke so communication was difficult with her the last few years of her life. Her actual request was MO'S with a throwing motion. Mom and I used to take a trip to the coast together once a year when we lived in Oregon and we always ate chowder at Mo's.

Living in Arizona and being busy with work and just life, mom resided in the gun safe for several years and oddly, I found it comforting to have her around. I know, I know, WEIRD!

So yesterday was the DAY! We drove up to the Oregon coast, bought a bright sand pail and found a solitary beach, waded into the ocean and sprinkled mom into the waves. It was awesome. It was a sunny day and as we approached the water, a fog bank rolled in, and then dissipated just where we were at. So we had clear sunshine with fog rolling around to the side and behind us. We had been sharing stories about her with each other and off she went into the water with a prayer. We then started back home and ended up having dinner at Mo's in Florence in honor of Mom.

I like to think she enjoyed the day.

1 comment:

LumaraRose said...

I know how hard that must've been for you mom... I am glad that after this long though Grandma's final wish was fullfilled... In a way it almost seems as if Grandma's spirit may have been in the fog bank... stranger things have happend!
Love you!